X's Q & A

Q&A: How long are withdrawal symptoms coming off Lexapro?

Hello Lauren,
 I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. First off, Please note that if you Find yourself Becoming Suicidal and or You find yourself Becoming Dangerous, please contact your doctor That is prescribing your drugs And/or Contact emergency services immediately. Please be sure to continue any psychological or supportive counseling work you are doing.  Having said that, it has been My clinical experience With patients tapering off medications that There is no one-size-fits-all for anyone tapering and or terminating Psychiatric medication. Some people do this very easily without much negative withdrawal affect, well others Have reported A terrific time 4 weeks and months. 

Q&A: What is Schizoaffective?

I would like to discuss this with you, so please call my office to schedule a free 10-minute telephone consult with me.  Thank you.

Q&A: How can I handle panic attacks without medication?

If you haven’t already done so, I recommend that you see a mental health therapist to help you with your panic attacks.  They can fully assess your problems, provide treatment, make recommendations and refer you to a psychiatrist who can prescribe and manage your medications.

Q&A: What can I do about anhedonia and depression?

I'm sorry to hear that you suffer from depression, irritability, and anhedonia.  Diagnosing you based on the scant information provided would be difficult.  Whether you are diagnosed with depression or bipolar, proper diagnosis and treatment with a qualified mental health professional would be most beneficial in helping you deal with your changing moods.  The proper psychotropic medication might also be helpful in regulating your moods.  I encourage you to take the next step and make an appointment with a qualified mental health professional.  Good Luck!  

Q&A: Why do I get silent, anti-social, when a person I just met makes me feel uncomfortable?

There are a number of reasons why you may feel uncomfortable.
It is possible you may have Social Anxiety and this condition
may impact the way you interact or choose not to interact
with others.
Another common condition is a lack of assertiveness.
This can influence the way you interact with others.
The best thing to do is to get an evaluation from a qualified
mental health professional to see if there is an underlying
diagnosis or some condition that is impacting your behavior.

Q&A: What can I do to help a relationship where someone is critical of me?

How to deal with difficult people
Before I get to the point, let me make a few preconditions:  First, some issues require more than a simple response and this issue may be one of those issues.  Second, I'm always aware of 2 sayings:  the Golden Rule and the Serenity Prayer.  Third, we must always be aware of appropriate boundaries.  Now, for my attempt to address your issue, I agree with you that it might be best for you take a break from this guy for a while to get some perspective on the issue.  In counseling, we are taught to strive for objectivity and professional distance when addressing our clients' issues.  Perhaps, your friend has become too overly familiar with you and your issues and feels free to speak his mind without filtering things out in a positive manner.  I suggest that you attempt to re-establish boundaries with him that are comfortable for you.  Should your friend not honor your requests, then it may be necessary for you to move on without him.  Sometimes, we outgrow our friends or no longer need that type of relationship in our lives anymore.  Now, if you are having difficulty moving on, then might I suggest you seek counseling to help you with this transition.  Other resources that may be helpful are Alanon and Children of Alcoholics groups and their principles.  Good Luck!  

Q&A: What can I do when my anxiety is preventing me from focusing?

Thank you for your question.  Anxiety can be debilitating at times, especially during performance related tasks.  Please feel free to contact me to set up an appointment to meet in person to further discuss your situation and determine treatment options. 

Dear Richard, You must be shaken. You?ve been through a traumatic experience. This goes to show that it isn?t always the man who is the violent one. Nobody can predict how your wife will behave in the future, though her failure to apologize, or to consider counseling for herself, is a bad sign. Certainly, hitting you and threatening you with a knife was abusive. Regardless, I would be reluctant to stay in a marriage after my life was threatened with a knife. How could you ever feel safe again? When you entered this marriage, you had hopes and expectations. Even if you are glad to get away from your wife, you have lost the hopes and expectations, and have a right to mourn and feel sad for that. Need is a relative matter. Counseling will only help if you want it. It doesn?t sound like you will commit suicide or be imprisoned or hospitalized if you don?t get counseling. On the other hand, I think counseling could be VERY helpful to you. It would help you understand what drew you to such an angry, violent woman in the first place, and what else, if anything, you contributed to the situation, so you are less likely to make the same mistake(s) again. It will also help you cope with the strong feelings you must be left with. You can be glad that this happened so early in the marriage, before you invested more years and had children. You should look for a psychotherapist (psychologist or social worker) who has expertise in Domestic Violence, and works with survivors, not perpetrators. Expertise in Expressive Therapies would be useful. I, myself would prefer someone with an Existential/Humanistic orientation. Not finding that, I?d look for someone with a Psychodynamic orientation. It is MUCH more important that the therapist is someone you feel comfortable with than what the areas of expertise and the orientation are. You can find information about psychologists in your area in The National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology at, or in your public library. Similar information about clinical social workers can be found at Feel free to write again to let me know what happened, or if you have further questions.

Dear Katia, These are very dangerous habits indeed! changing habits is the key so that one never does harm to the body. All the things you describe are harmful habits. the best way to change a habit is to replace it. I recommend vigorous exercise. Dr. Terry Hunt

Q&A: Can daily stress lead to panic disorder which can lead to post-traumatic stress disorder?

Dear Mr. Dettrey, June 13, 2001 You certainly sound like you?ve had enough trauma to cause posttraumatic stress disorder, but someone would have to examine you in person to make a diagnosis. Though people with posttraumatic stress disorder often have panic attacks, panic attacks themselves are not a precursor of posttraumatic stress. The brain surgery also could produce a lot of strange effects, including panic. I suggest that you try to find a psychologist in your area who is trained in testing and diagnosing neurological problems. Check with LocateADoc in your area. Also,The National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology, which you can find in the reference section of your public library, will give you a list of psychologists in your vicinity, and a description of the training of each and their specialties. If you can?t find what you need there, call a local psychologist and ask for a referral. Good luck, Eric Loeb, Ed.D.

© Copyright 2018 LocateADoc. All rights reserved.