Center for Comprehensive Weight Loss
Center for Comprehensive Weight Loss
The Center for Comprehensive Weight Loss at St. John Oakland Hospital
Being overweight is a serious medical condition. Along with problems like sleep apnea, shortness of breath, chronic joint pain, and infertility, there are some very serious health risks directly linked to severe obesity. Problems like diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and heart disease are common in people who are seriously overweight. These can be life-threatening conditions. If you suffer from any of these conditions, you should examine the role your excess body weight plays in causing the underlying health problems that you currently suffer from, learn what treatment options are available and how to proceed.
At The Center for Comprehensive Weight Loss our approach to the treatment of clinically severe obesity (being at least 100 pounds overweight or 200% of one’s ideal body weight as defined by the Metropolitan Life Insurance Table) is a multi-disciplinary program. It includes gastric bypass surgery (a procedure that helps you digest and absorb calories at a slower rate), nutrition and fitness counseling, and behavior modification. With all of these components working together, patients can reach the goal of at least 75% excess weight loss and keep it off permanently. While results vary, patients are expected to lose on average, one-third of their excess weight within three months, two-thirds within twelve months, and at least three-quarters within eighteen months after surgery. Throughout the program, our patients are treated with compassion and dignity, as evidenced in part by our specialized equipment and furnishings - all designed to enhance your comfort and safety.
When choosing a comprehensive weight loss surgery program you should consider the following questions:
- Is the weight loss procedure you’re considering approved by the National Institutes of Health?
- Is the surgeon board certified with significant experience in abdominal surgery?
- Is the medical center licensed and accredited with organizations such as HFAP and/or JCAHO and have a proven track record for positive patient outcomes, quality and customer service?
- Does the program include psychological evaluation and counseling?
- Does the surgical weight loss program include careful monitoring after surgery at specified intervals?
- Is there an exercise and fitness component to the program?
- Does the program provide follow-up support group sessions?
- Are other services available such as medical weight loss options prior to surgery?
- Is the bariatric clinic spacious and appointed with adequate size furniture and equipment for your comfort?
- Does the hospital have a designated unit with appropriate furniture and equipment?
- Are other departments within the hospital such as Radiology and Surgery equipped for the special needs of the bariatric surgery patient?
If you choose The Center for Comprehensive Weight Loss for your weight loss surgery, you can answer yes to all of the questions above. At CCWL you get more than just a surgical procedure! You will recieve the benefits of working with a comprehensive support team, including:
- Dedicated bariatric surgeons
- Bariatric dietitians
- Registered nurses
- Bariatric counselor (a former patient that is available to answer your questions and share her/his success story)
The Center for Comprehensive Weight Loss at St. John Oakland is conveniently located in the professional building just north of the hospital.The office has been designed specifically for bariatric patient comfort and efficiency.Initial Consultation with the Comprehensive Team and Psychological evaluations are available to be scheduled within the The Center for Comprehensive Weight Loss, as well as the majority of Preadmission Testing services and all postoperative follow-up visits.
With a 400-member medical staff,
To View the doctors at this location click on the links below: