A gum lift surgery, also known as a gingivectomy, is a simple procedure performed by a surgical dentist to adjust the height of the gum, revealing more of the tooth. People get gingivectomy’s for various reasons including cosmetic and medical motivation.
Most of the time when people hear the world “surgery” they think a procedure is dramatic and/or dangerous, but gum lifts are a common procedure which uses just a local anesthetic. Despite the non-invasive nature of the gum lift, the results offer patients a huge amount of benefit. If you or a loved one is considering a gingivectomy, here are 13 facts that you should know about the procedure.
1. Mainly lasers are used to preform gum lift surgeries.
2. With the latest technology, there are new surgical procedures to rejuvenate receding gums which are 90% more comfortable and take 75% less healing time without sutures.
3. It takes anywhere between a few days a couple weeks for the gums to heal all the way back to normal post-surgery.
4. As soon as the local anesthesia wears off, you can return back to your normally schedule activities without any additional physical precautions.
5. During recovery dentists put a putty over the gum line to protect the newly cut area while it is heals.
6. During recovery one cannot drink hot or cool liquids.
7. There is some discomfort after the surgery, but this can be address with a mild pain killer like ibuprofen.
8. Getting gum lift makes it easier to keep the gums and teeth clean.
9. Gum lifts are often performed to help correct the gums to reverse gum disease. One common problem is the gum pulling away from the tooth to form hard-to-clean pockets.
10. Gum lifts are frequently paired with out types of cosmetic dental surgery to enhance the appearance and strength of the gums.
11. After a gum lift, as long as the patient keeps us with prescribed methods of brushing, flossing and rinsing, it can stop gum disease right in its tracks.
12. When gums fully recover from the disease they become pink and supple creating a happier and healthier smile.
13. If you have a “gummy smile”, gingivectomies are a great way to fix the aesthetic of your smile, so that you can feel more self-confident going throughout your day.
14. Choosing a dentist carefully is key to getting a successful gum lift. You want someone who has experience performing the procedure, so you can be guaranteed you’re getting good work done.
To find a qualified board certified dentist to perform gum lift surgery, find a doctor in your area and get a consultation to learn more about its benefits.
Photo by Paul Skomsky, D.D.S. [http://goo.gl/TTK9LV]