Should You Visit an ENT or an Allergist?

Many individuals suffer from irritations in their ear, nose, or throat areas due to allergies. When this happens it can cause a conundrum when deciding whether you should you visit an ENT specialist or an allergist to determine what the issue is.In general, ENT doctors are surgeons. They have been trained to understand the unique structure of the ear, nose, and throat area and tend to focus on bone and cartilage issues that may be contributing to your symptoms. If you’re having an issue with breathing nasally, have a sore throat, or suffer from hearing loss, you’ll want to visit this specialist.

Photo Of Woman Sneezing And In Need Of Allergist - LocateADoc.comOn the other hand, ENT doctors do not receive a lot of specific training on allergens and how to properly test for them. So, if you are concerned that you may be having an allergic reaction, you will probably want to visit an allergist. They will have site-specific training and techniques to help you pinpoint what your problem is. They can also let you know whether your issue is related to something in the air, something you are ingesting, or is actually a structural problem.

Sometimes you can find ear, nose, or throat doctors that are also very experienced with allergic reactions. In some ways, this is the best of both worlds because they will be able to provide you with the appropriate diagnosis right on the spot. Before you visit any doctor, do your research to find out who has the most experience in your area.

Learn more about the risk factors, symptoms, diagnostic tests, management and treatment options as well as how to select a doctor in our Allergies Resource Guide and look through our profiles to find a specialist in your area.

Further Reading