Q&A: When I was 22, I took steroids and now have embarrassing breast tissue built up. What can I do?

Ask A Doctor Question: 

I am a 33 year old male, I took steroids when I was 22 yrs old but did not take an estrogen block at that time. Since then I have breast tissue that built up. I am embarrassed to take my shirt off. Will meds help or only surgery?

- Patrick


William Georgis, M.D. - LocateADoc.com

Surgery is the only option I am aware of.  The procedure would be liposuction of the breast area using ultrasonic liposuction.  The ultrasonic energy breaks up the breast and fatty tissues and that tissue is suctioned out.  The procedure is typically done in the office operating room under anesthesia as an outpatient.  You would wear a compression vest for a few weeks after surgery and be able to resume your normal activities in several weeks.  The results would be a life changer for you.  

--William Georgis, M.D.
Rockford, IL


Omeed Memar, M.D., Ph.D. - LocateADoc.com

Dear Patrick
The aromatase inhibitors can shrink the glandular tissue.however if there is fibrosis, surgery should be considered. The surgery is under local anesthesia and takes one hour. 

--Omeed Memar, M.D., Ph.D.
Chicago, IL

LocateADoc.com does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Ask A Doctor Q&A content. Read full conditions of use here.