Q&A: What can I do to help my eye that's becoming sunken and small?

Ask A Doctor Question: 

I am a 46 year old female. Over the past couple of years I have noticed that my right eye is slowly becoming smaller than my left eye. It is now quite noticeable. My family has now noticed and I'm panicking because I think something must be horribly wrong! It does not seem to be due to a drooping eyelid, rather the entire eye seems to have sunken back into my head. I realize that I've been unconsciously raising my right eyebrow in order to open up the eye more, but it looks strange. I know it isn't thyroid related because I take thyroid medication, I'm tested regularly, and my levels have been good and steady for years. I've been reading about possible conditions and one that stands out is something called Silent Sinus Syndrome. I know it's a rare condition, but when I look at photos and read about it, everything fits exactly. I've made an appointment with an ophthalmologist, but the wait is long and I won't be seen for three months! Whatever is going on, it seems to have worsened over the past few months. I'm afraid of how much worse it can get. Please help! What can I do?


Aesthetic Center of Gainesville - LocateADoc.com

This is not a condition that we treat.  We would treat the loose skin around the eye, but not the condition that you mentioned.  This would not fall under the scope of plastic surgery.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

--Aesthetic Center of Gainesville
Gainesville, GA


James A. Sbarbaro, MD - LocateADoc.com

I have received feedback from a couple of our doctors regarding your question. As with all descriptions of symptoms, it is impossible to diagnose your problems without first having an examination from the physician. Based upon the symptoms that you describe, this could be any number of problems. You would be well served to seek out the services of an Oculoplastic specialist, as thyroid orbital disease can occur regardless of thyroid treatment. Silent sinus syndrome would require a CT scan in order to diagnose. If you are experiencing any pain or vision loss, you should seek emergency treatment right away. This condition could also be the result of ptosis, a drooping of the eyelid that can cause one eye to look smaller than the other. In any case, we recommend that you make an appointment with an ophthalmologist as soon as possible to determine what is causing your symptoms. If you would like to make an appointment with our Oculoplastic specialist, please contact us and set up an appointment with Dr. Christina Choe. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

-Rick Holmes, Administrator, Carolina Ophthalmology, PA

--James A. Sbarbaro, MD
Hendersonville, NC

LocateADoc.com does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Ask A Doctor Q&A content. Read full conditions of use here.