Q&A: What can I do to get over my depression and get back to a normal and social person?

Ask A Doctor Question: 

Hello, I need help to get over my depression. I can't focus or concentrate on things many times and I often get lost in my past thoughts and get very angry at things or people from past. I am losing self confidence, interests in daily activities, etc. Please help me understand what I should do and how to be my self and back to normal and social person. Thanks, SAM


Carolina Partners in Mental Healthcare - LocateADoc.com

Hi SAM, thanks for your question, and SORRY you're going through this! First of all, I'm sorry to say depression is absolutely "normal". Approximately 7% of people in the US suffer from depression. Severe depression can be debilitating, however, and in that situation I highly recommend seeking therapy, medication, or a combination of the two. There are interventions that can really help your symptoms, don't suffer alone! If you don't feel comfortable reaching out to friends and family for a referral, I recommend looking for a practice that takes insurance, has many clinicians to choose from, and is easy for you to get to. The first appointment is the hardest to make, but you can do it!
Best of luck. We're pulling for you!

--Carolina Partners in Mental Healthcare
Raleigh, NC


Meredith Strauss, LCSW - LocateADoc.com

Hi Sam 
I would be happy to talk with you further about my approach in helping clients in your situation 
Please give me a call and we can discuss it further 

--Meredith Strauss, LCSW
Short Hills, NJ

LocateADoc.com does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Ask A Doctor Q&A content. Read full conditions of use here.