Q&A: Is there any way to reduce fluid under my arms after breast cancer surgery?

Ask A Doctor Question: 

after breast cancer surgery.. I have retained fluid under my arms on both side of my rib cage there is hanging skin with fluid ..is there any way it can be reduced as I have a hard time sleepy with these big pillow sacks, also it makes it hard for me to do any manual work like house work gardening..Dr says I have lymphoedama. thank you for any answer to my problem


Steven M. Lynch, M.D., F.A.C.S. - LocateADoc.com

 It certainly may be related to lymphedema but it sounds like you have extra tissue on the chest wall beyond where the incisions end..  These are really called "dog ears" and if this is the actual case, they are easily excised.
  Good luck with it all.  Make sure you discuss this with one or two plastic surgeons

--Steven M. Lynch, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Albany, NY


Mark Lowney, MD - LocateADoc.com

Dear patient,
My speciality is limited to cosmetic surgery. You have had reconstructive surgery. You should really consult with a plastic surgeon. In meantime, you should seek out a endermologist to help you manage your edema.

--Mark Lowney, MD
Fall River, MA

LocateADoc.com does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Ask A Doctor Q&A content. Read full conditions of use here.