Q&A: Is there a test that will confirm if they are allergic to metal?

Ask A Doctor Question: 

Is there a test that will confirm whether someone is having an allergic reaction to metal? I'm not referring to a skin patch test to see if you are allergic to metal. I'm talking about a test that will confirm that the allergic reaction a person is experiencing is caused by metal. Thank you

- Grace


Jason Blalack, L.Ac., M.S. -

Yes, you can test for antibodies to the metals. As far as I know though it is not a mainstream test, thus regular doctors will not offer this.

--Jason Blalack, L.Ac., M.S.
Boulder, CO


Ryan Kauffman, M.D. -

Unfortunately, there is not such a test. The only validated testing for metals are patch tests, and those are more local reaction on skin. 

--Ryan Kauffman, M.D.
Marietta, GA does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Ask A Doctor Q&A content. Read full conditions of use here.