Q&A: I'm a young female who suffers from embarrassing halitosis. What can I do?

Ask A Doctor Question: 

I'm a young educated female who suffers from halitosis which is very embarrassing. I've tried different doctors and breath sprays or mouth wash but nothing works. Please am in desperate need of help to try and get rid of this issue.


Robert Korwin, MAGD MICOI - LocateADoc.com

It is a shame you have this persistent problem. Halitosis presents from bacterial breakdown products such as hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell) in the mouth. When bacteria remains on the teeth and under the gums, it hardens into calculus (tartar) which produces a bad taste and mouth odor. The treatment is to remove the hard deposits that form above and under the gums, and keep new bacterial deposits from forming by proper brushing, daily flossing and frequent professional dental cleanings. Cavities are formed by bacteria which will also produce halitosis. Some infections of the root canal may also be contributory. Halitosis may also sometimes be caused by post nasal drip from allergies or sinus infection, and it sometimes results from esophageal  bacterial growth produced by acid reflux. See your physician for reflux or sinus problems. See your dentist more frequently for cleanings and for diagnosis and treatment of cavities and dental infections. Hope you get relief from your Halitosis by following these guidelines.

--Robert Korwin, MAGD MICOI
Middletown, NJ

LocateADoc.com does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Ask A Doctor Q&A content. Read full conditions of use here.