Q&A: I have Huntingtons chorea disease. Am I a good candidate for a tubal reversal?

Ask A Doctor Question: 

I'm a 31 year old female a little over weight. I had my tubes cut burned and tied 11 years ago after the birth of my daughter I have the Huntingtons chorea disease and all three of my living children have a 50% chance of having the disease too. Would I be considered a good candidate for a reversal? I want to try for another baby


Wendy J Schillings, MD, FACOG -

Tubal reversal may be an option for you. However, there may be a better option which will enable you to achieve pregnancy and prevent the transmission of the Huntington’s chorea to your child, that option would be InVitro Fertilization (IVF).  For people who are not familiar with this disease, it is a severely debilitating disease which affects individuals in early adulthood.  This is an inherited disease and parents have a 50% chance of passing it on to their children.  If you are already showing signs of the disease, you should speak with the physician caring for you about your specific risks of being pregnant. 
If you have good ovary function, an Infertility physician would be able to provide the IVF option.  In this process, you take medication to have your ovaries produce multiple eggs.  The eggs are then removed from your ovaries and fertilized, in a lab, using your partner’s sperm to create embryos.   The embryos begin to grow and typically 5 days later, they can be tested to see if specific embryos carry the abnormal Huntington’s disease gene.   The doctor would then be able to put only genetically “normal” embryos into your uterus for you to hopefully achieve pregnancy.  Since your tubes are not needed for this procedure, a reversal is not required.  This process also significantly decreases the possibility of a child being born with Huntington’s disease.  

--Wendy J Schillings, MD, FACOG
Allentown, PA does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Ask A Doctor Q&A content. Read full conditions of use here.