Q&A: How could I decrease the look of the scar on my face from a birthmark removal?

Ask A Doctor Question: 

I have a scar from a birthmark removal on my face I would like to know how I could decrease the look of this scar and the scar also has pigmentation on it I think it's from the birthmark that left some spots from it

- Nada


Steven M. Lynch, M.D., F.A.C.S. - LocateADoc.com

  It would be necessary to see you in the office to allow for the determination of the options that you have to improve the scar appearance.
See your plastic surgeon and you will then be able to make your decisions together

--Steven M. Lynch, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Albany, NY


Verne Weisberg, M.D., F.A.C.S. - LocateADoc.com

This is a very good question, and one that's not always so simple to answer. Scars after birthmarks could darken because there's some residual pigmentation left, or they may have widened because when we have things removed in our youth, the scars tend to be wider then when we have things removed when we're older. While it's possible to improve scars with topical agents, often times these scars need to be surgically treated and modified by a plastic surgeon in order to minimize the appearance. Your best chance of getting the most favorable result would be to schedule a meeting with a qualified plastic surgeon, and see what the options specific to you truly will be.

--Verne Weisberg, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Portland, ME


Alan B. Brackup, MD - LocateADoc.com

Hi Nada,
Without seeing the scar it’s really difficult to say what treatment would be most effective.  It sounds like you may be a good candidate for a laser that builds collagen and breaks down scar tissue.  The color may be treated with a different type of laser system.
If you live close by, it would be best to have you come in for a consult.
Hope this helps.

--Alan B. Brackup, MD
Langhorne, PA

LocateADoc.com does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Ask A Doctor Q&A content. Read full conditions of use here.