Q&A: After miscarriage, having difficulty getting pregnant?

Ask A Doctor Question: 

I am a 30 year old male and my wife and I have been trying to get pregnant for about 3 years now we have both been tested and the doctors says we both check out fine. My wife has been taking Clomid off and on for the last two years and it has not worked yet. My wife had a miscarriage about seven years ago and I was wondering if that could have anything to do with our problem. If not, what else can we do.

- Terrance


Mark Perloe, MD -

Terrence, there are many factors that can interfere with conception. Each must be evaluated. Usually we advise that after two or three months of the same treatment, it is rather unlikely continuing the same thing will offer different results. First step is to review your medical history to look for lifestyle factors, previous medical problems, or medications that might interfere. Then I’d advise that both of you undergo a general health blood test screening. We include screening for Sexually Transmitted Diseases, as well as genetic mutations such as cystic fibrosis and spinal atrophy. If you both carry the same mutation, there is a one in four chance that the baby will have a severe health problem. A semen analysis should be checked at the start of the evaluation, as male factors are as common as female factors but are often overlooked. If we suspect ovulation problems because of an irregular menstrual cycle, testing may indicate a correctable problem, or we may detect polycystic ovary syndrome which can be addressed with diet, exercise and an insulin sensitizer. The final step is to check the fallopian tubes with an HSG. If your wife is ovulating, the tubes are open and the sperm count is good and the other tests have been normal, then I’d consider either more aggressive ovulation along with insemination for two cycles or consideration of IVF.

--Mark Perloe, MD
Atlanta, GA


Wendy J Schillings, MD, FACOG -

Experts agree that if a couple has been trying to conceive for more than one year without success, they should see an infertility specialist. I would recommend that you make an appointment with a specialist so they may be able to help you build our family.

--Wendy J Schillings, MD, FACOG
Allentown, PA does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Ask A Doctor Q&A content. Read full conditions of use here.