Q&A: After having my tubes tied, is it possible to use artificial insemination to get pregnant?

Ask A Doctor Question: 

I had my tubes tied in 2008.but now that I am about to remarry.i would like to have another it possible to use artificial insemination with my eggs and his sperm to become pregnant? And if so how much would this cost us? Thank you so much for you time and reply!

- Maryann


Wendy J Schillings, MD, FACOG -

Let me clarify the question.  Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is one treatment option for infertility patients.  This involves placing sperm directly into a woman’s uterus.  In order for pregnancy to be achieved, the female must have at least one open fallopian tube.  Women who have had their tubes tied have two options for pregnancy.  The first is a surgical procedure to reverse the tubal ligation.  Whether or not a woman can have this surgery depends on several factors that are best discussed with a fertility specialist.  The second option is In-vitro fertilization.  This process involves stimulating the ovaries with medication, removing the eggs through a minor surgical procedure, fertilizing the eggs with the partners sperm to create embryos then placing an appropriate number of  embryos back into the woman’s uterus.  Extra embryos can be frozen for future pregnancies.  This process bypasses the fallopian tubes.  Before either procedure, testing of both the male and female is done to make sure the female has quality eggs and the male has enough sperm to fertilize the eggs.  
The cost will depend on which treatment option you’re doing.  If you’re having a tubal ligation reversal, the estimated costs is about $15,000 for the provider & the hospital.  For IVF, the charges start at $12,225 but there will be additional costs, medications & possibly other services depending on your treatment plan.  We also offer financing options which can be found on our website. 
Thank you for your interest & please feel free to call our office at 877-277-1928 to schedule a consultation for more details. 

--Wendy J Schillings, MD, FACOG
Allentown, PA does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Ask A Doctor Q&A content. Read full conditions of use here.