Liposuction can be a relatively extensive cosmetic procedure, but has the potential to completely transform the body. Many people undergo liposuction to get rid of stubborn body fat that has become resistant to diet and exercise; while the procedure is not designed to replace a healthy lifestyle, it does offer a quick-fix solution for those who cannot lose the excess pounds on their own.
However, all liposuction patients still need to maintain a healthy lifestyle in order to prevent weight gain after surgery; even though the fat cells are completely removed from the treated area, any weight gain will result in storage of body fat in other parts of the body.
If you’ve undergone liposuction
or are thinking about having fat removed with this procedure, here’s what you’ll need to do to ward off the pounds and maintain the results:
1. Map out an exercise regimen. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons recently conducted a survey to find out how many people maintained their results after liposuction surgery. Survey results published in the Journal of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons showed that almost 50 percent of patients kept the weight off by maintaining a healthier lifestyle; keeping up with a gym routine and staying physically active may be the keys to long term success.
2. Keep a food journal. In order to avoid diet sabotage, maintain a food journal to keep track of your eating habits. The simple act of writing down what you eat can help you become more conscious of servings and meals, and make it easier to track down any foods that may be contributing to your weight gain.
3. Make significant changes to the daily diet. Many liposuction patients return to their unhealthy eating habits shortly after recovery from the procedure is complete, and this can result in rapid weight gain after surgery. A study conducted at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas revealed that even though 80 percent of patients were satisfied with their results, those who didn’t change their diets and exercise regimen were 10 times more likely to gain weight. (Source: CBSNews.com)
4. Drink more water. Dehydration and toxin buildup can make it difficult to maintain a healthy metabolism, which in turn can lead to weight gain. Drinking more water helps to flush out toxins from the body and may even reduce hunger pangs. Make a habit of drinking water regularly throughout the day to stay well-hydrated and maintain results from surgery.
5. Maintain a stretching routine. Stretching regularly helps increase blood circulation throughout the body and reduces stress. Intensive stretching sessions may also burn a few extra calories and keep your entire body in good health.
6. Hit the sauna. Sweating out toxins in a sauna is another way to maintain a healthy metabolism. Time in a sauna or steam room can also help reduce stress naturally, so you will be less likely to turn to food for comfort.
Learn more about taking care of your body after liposuction with our information guide, or consult with a plastic surgeon in your area for post-procedure information and tips for managing your weight.