If you’re looking for a permanent solution to get rid of wrinkles and achieve a more youthful look, laser skin resurfacing and facelift surgery aren’t your only options. Many cosmetic dermatologists and skin specialist recommend dermabrasion for people who want younger-looking skin with just a single procedure. Dermabrasion is an intensive skin resurfacing procedure that literally “sands” away the top layer of skin to buff away wrinkles, fine lines, lesions and even acne scars. Here’s a close look at some of the top anti aging benefits of dermabrasion:
1. Corrects skin irregularities in one session. Fine lines, wrinkles and scars will disappear after just a single dermabrasion procedure. While it may take a few weeks for your skin to heal completely, you’ll notice a significant difference in the smoothness and texture of your skin. This anti aging procedure can effectively get rid of fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes, mouth and nose, as well as deeper lines and scars around the forehead and jawline.
2. Can improve skin elasticity and resilience. The intensive resurfacing procedure helps to strengthen the skin and improves the overall texture. When the healing process is over, you’ll notice that your skin is very smooth and silky to the touch, and is also firmer and more toned.
3. Helps remove scar tissue. If you have scars from acne or surgery, just a single dermabrasion procedure can help to get rid of scar tissue permanently. Scars will become less noticeable immediately after treatment, and as the skin heals and repairs itself, the scars will disappear altogether.
4. Removes pre-cancerous growths and lesions. Many dermatologists recommend that their patients have a dermabrasion procedure to get rid of pre-cancerous growths and improve the surface and tone of their skin. Dermabrasion can effectively get rid of these types of skin irregularities while improving the overall texture and tone of your skin.
5. Reduces skin discoloration. If you have patches of pigmented skin that have not responded to chemical peels or skin brightening serums, dermabrasion can help. The procedure will not only buff away the discolored skin cells, but will also stimulate the skin cell renewal process so your skin will grow back healthier, stronger and exhibit a more even skin tone.
6. Can be performed in under an hour. In most cases, the entire procedure takes between 30 to 60 minutes. The total treatment time will depend on the size of the area to be treated, but it is possible to be in and out of the doctor’s office within a few hours.
7. Minimal pain involved. Most people do not feel anything at all because of the numbing spray used on the skin. Dermabrasion is typically performed under local anesthesia, but the skin may feel sore and tender for several hours after the procedure as the anesthesia wears off. This can be managed with over-the-counter painkillers, antibiotics and soothing skincare products.
Learn more about dermabrasion in our information guide, or consult with a cosmetic dermatologist in your area to find out if you may be a good candidate for this anti-aging procedure.