If you’re interested in getting your teeth straightened, are considering teeth whitening procedures or need to undergo a gum recontouring procedure, you will need to work with a qualified cosmetic dentist. Cosmetic dentistry
has grown dramatically over the last ten years, offering a wide range of options for patients that want to get a smile makeover
and increase their self-esteem. If you want to achieve the best results from your dental treatments and whitening procedures, consider the following when selecting a cosmetic dentist
1. Determine if the dentist is board certified. A dentist that has earned his or her degree from a dental school accredited by the American Dental Association’s Commission on Dental accreditation and can show proof of board certification will be a more trustworthy and reliable professional for treating you and your family. These dentists have had advanced training and earned either a D.D.S or D.M.D. degree.
2. Make sure the cosmetic dentist is licensed to practice in your state.
Call your local State Dental Society or search the American Association of Dental Examiners website www.aade.org
to see the dentist’s most current license and any citations or disciplinary actions on their record.
3. Request a treatment plan estimate. During your consultation, the cosmetic dentist may go over several different procedures and treatments available. You can ask for a price breakdown and go over all the details about payment during this meeting so you know what to expect. Make sure you’re aware of all fees and extra charges that may be involved with each visit, and get a “bottom line” price from the dentist that takes everything into account.
4. Ask for a priority list of treatments. You need to know which procedures or treatments are urgent versus those that can wait for about six months to a year. Some cosmetic dentists may pressure to you undertake the complete recommended treatment plan at once, so it’s important to get an accurate breakdown of what needs to be done now, and what can be done later.
5. Look at before and after photos. Even when you’ve found a state or regional board-certified dentist that has completed their training and passed their examinations, there is no guarantee that you will achieve the results you want. The only way to determine the dentist’s skill level is to take a close look at before and after photos of the procedure. Ask the cosmetic dentist for photos of the treatments you are interested in and find out more about the age and background of the patient. Most dentists will be able to provide you with pictures of teeth whitening treatments, results of gum recontouring procedures and before and after photos of Invisalign procedures so you can set some realistic expectations.
Finding the most qualified and reliable cosmetic dentist for you and your family can take time so it’s important to review the dentist’s credentials, experience and skill level before making your decision. Use the LocateADoc.com cosmetic dentistry
listings as a guide to help you find the most qualified professional in your area, and learn more about the latest cosmetic dentistry procedures in our information guide.