The Face Lift Diet ? Fact or Fiction?
If wrinkles, fine lines and sagging skin are taking their toll on your appearance, you may have considered a facelift or other facial rejuvenation procedure to restore your youthful looks. Face lifts can tighten and firm up the skin after just one treatment, and some may even help increase collagen levels that help you maintain that youthful glow.
Still, some experts suggest skipping surgery entirely in favor of lifestyle changes and a healthy eating plan. The Perricone Nutritional Facelift is just one of several diet programs that encourage us to combat the signs of aging by making key changes in the daily diet. From increasing Omega-3s to drinking at least 10 glasses of water per day, the diet may be a valuable alternative – or supplement – to a procedure. But are these suggestions based on fact, or is the plan just another diet program?
Here’s a close look at The Perricone Nutritional Facelift that promises to provide total face and body rejuvenation in just under a month:
Key Skincare Benefits of The Nutritional Facelift
Even though the Nutritional Facelift program is designed for weight loss and improving health overall, the diet contains several foods that can have a positive impact on skin health. The diet may help to:
- Improve skin elasticity
- Increase the rate of healthy cell turnover
- Reduce the risk of inflammation that can cause several skin conditions and imbalances
- Slow down the rate of premature aging
- Create a ‘healthy glow’
- Reduce the risk of hormonal imbalances that can trigger several skin conditions such as acne
- Replenish the skin with vital moisture and nutrients for healthy cell growth
Foods Allowed on The Face Lift Diet
The Nutritional Facelift, as described by Dr. Perricone is a diet program based on high protein foods and large portions of fresh fruits and vegetables. Overall, it is a well-balanced eating plan that offers benefits for anyone who wants to lose weight and improve their health. Dr. Perricone suggests that the following key foods can make the skin healthier, more vibrant and more resilient:
- Salmon – preferably organic and fresh, salmon is a healthy source of protein and also contains a high concentration of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Omega-3s are valuable for building collagen and eating foods high in Omega-3s can improve skin tone, texture and even make it more resilient over time.
- Avocados – avocados are another source of healthy fats, and some studies suggest this vegetable has anti-inflammatory properties as well.
- Leafy green vegetables – spinach, kale and mixed greens are just a few options for packing more antioxidants into the daily diet. Spinach also contains iron that can improve muscle strength and the high fiber content of vegetables helps keep the digestive system in great shape.
- Snacks of chicken or turkey – to increase daily protein content, Dr. Perricone recommends eating at least 1-2 small portions of chicken or turkey as a snack during the day.
- Protein snacks can keep you alert and focused so you’re not stuck on a sugar cycle – and this itself can improve the look of your skin overall.
- Fruits high in antioxidants – berries, melon and other fresh fruit high in antioxidants can improve health overall, and may help improve the texture and tone of your skin. According to Vanderbilt University, antioxidants can prevent free radical build-up, and this can be a valuable preventative measure for skin problems that accompany the aging process.
Bottom Line: The Nutritional Facelift attempts to eliminate foods with a high glycemic index, some of which have been linked to hormonal imbalances that can cause acne, eczema and other skin conditions. Overall, the diet contains several foods high in Omega-3s, antioxidants and other healthy fats that can improve your health from inside out. While you won’t achieve the dramatic results of surgery with a comprehensive nutrition plan, there are several skincare benefits of adapting a diet such as Dr. Perricone’s Nutritional Facelift.
Learn more about nutritional counseling in our information guide, or consult with a skincare specialist in your area to learn more about facial rejuvenation options available. In most cases, you can incorporate a healthy eating plan with a facial rejuvenation procedure to achieve lasting results.