Six Ways to Improve Your Skin Today
Stress from your busy work schedule, a lack of sleep and unhealthy eating habits can all make you look and feel less than your best. In most cases, the signs of poor health will show up on your skin immediately. When you’re suffering from frequent breakouts, an uneven skin tone or unexplained redness, your current lifestyle habits could be to blame.
Fortunately, there are several ways to improve your skin and freshen up your look within hours. When you only have a day to prepare for a special event or just want to enjoy a mini makeover, consider any of these six quick skin fixes:
1. Try microdermabrasion. Microdermabrasion treatments can give you an instant makeover with their rigorous exfoliating treatment. Microdermabrasion works by buffing away the dirt, debris and dead skin cells that have accumulated on the top layer of your skin. A crystal-laden wand is passed over the skin to literally scratch off the top layer and reveal a fresher layer underneath. If you have a special occasion or event to prepare for, a microdermabrasion treatment can give your looks an instant lift.
2. Drink more water. Keeping that healthy glow may be as simple as downing a few glasses of water. Since water helps lubricate the joints and muscles and ensures that skin tissues are functioning at an optimal level, steering clear of dehydration may improve the texture and tone of your skin. Drinking fresh spring water between meals can also keep hunger at bay while flushing out toxins from the body that often trigger several skin problems.
3. Head to the medspa for a chemical peel treatment. Chemical peels are a simple and effective way to make a dramatic different to your skin, and can help remove dead skin cells while improving the texture and tone of your skin. Chemical peels don’t take effect immediately, but will slowly help your skin shed old layers over the course of a few days and weeks, depending on the type of peel you pursue. Combined with a standard exfoliating or detox facial, this procedure can help improve the look and feel of your skin immediately.
4. Enjoy some hot chocolate. Chocolate offers several anti-aging benefits, and darker varieties contain large amounts of antioxidants and flavanols. Researchers in Germany have also published studies that show a positive link between drinking chocolate and better skin health. Wilhelm Stahl from the Heinrich-Heine University in Dusseldorf documented the effects of cocoa powder and its effect on the skin. "This study demonstrates that the regular consumption of a beverage rich in flavanols can confer substantial photoprotection as well as help maintain skin health by improving skin structure and function" (Source: Journal of Nutrition (Vol 136, pp 1565-1569).
5. Get more sleep. Schedule a nap or two into your day to reduce stress and allow the body to repair and restore itself naturally. Researchers confirm that ‘beauty sleep’ is not just a myth; sleep deprivation directly affects the hormones and metabolism, and the side effect of any imbalances can cause several skin problems such as increased breakouts, acne, dry skin and a dull complexion. (Source: Medscape)
6. Enjoy the benefits of a photofacial. Photofacial treatments can be a simple way to improve the appearance of your skin, clear up breakouts and increase the skin’s ability to repair and heal itself from inside out. Photofacials make use of Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) technology to reduce inflammation, even out skin tone and may even reduce dilated blood vessels. Since there is no downtime involved with this facial rejuvenation procedure, you can head out to a special event within a few hours after the treatment.
From chemical peel treatments at the medspa to squeezing a nap into your day, any of these skincare strategies can enhance your skin within a few short hours.