Six Lifestyle Factors that Make You Age Faster
Have you ever wondered what causes fine lines, wrinkles and other signs of premature aging? Skincare experts and physicians have traced the primary causes of aging to genetics, your lifestyle and your daily habits, which means there are several things you can do to slow down the aging process and enjoy your youthful looks for a few more years. The signs of aging are usually visible on the face before they appear on other parts of the body, but there are several ways you can reduce or eliminate the telltale signs of aging.
Here are just six lifestyle factors that can make you age faster, and some facial rejuvenation procedures that can help to restore your youthful looks:
1. Chemical pollution. Do you live in a very polluted environment? Do you regularly walk through smog, high-traffic areas or travel by train or bus? Your skin may be exposed to chemical pollutants on a regular basis, and these chemicals can take their toll on your skin’s appearance. Living in a highly polluted environment can make your skin age faster, and may be the cause of premature wrinkles, dull-looking skin and even pigmented spots.
2. Hormonal changes. If you are pregnant, are taking birth control pills or are experiencing hormonal changes because of menopause, you may notice that you’re developing crow’s feet, deep lines around your mouth, and fine lines around your neck. Hormonal fluctuations can also cause breakouts, melasma and other skin conditions. Facial rejuvenation procedures such as laser skin resurfacing, chemical peels and microdermabrasion can help to reduce or eliminate some of these signs of aging.
3. Prescription medications. Certain types of prescription medications can have a negative effect on your skin and may cause breakouts, severe acne, or other skin disorders. Check with your physician to make sure you are not taking medication that you don’t really need, and discuss all of the side effects when you switch medications. Some side effects will subside once you stop taking medication, but you may also be able to eliminate some skin problems with facial rejuvenation treatments.
4. Daily skincare habits. Are you cleansing, toning and moisturizing your face and neck every day? If not, you may be inadvertently causing fine lines, wrinkles and pigmentation. Make sure you are cleansing and toning your skin daily with high-quality skincare products, and are exfoliating your skin at least twice per week to promote healthy cell renewal.
5. Excessive exposure to extreme temperatures. If you live in a climate that experiences extreme temperature changes, you may be at risk for developing premature wrinkles, age spots and other signs of aging. Exposure to excessive heat and cold can accelerate the aging process because it breaks down collagen and may cause thinning of the skin.
6. Existing skin disorders that cause scarring. Acne scars, inflammation from chicken pox and other skin disorders can cause extensive skin damage which puts your skin at risk for developing premature wrinkles, pigmented spots and rough patches. You can eliminate or reduce the appearance of these scars by undergoing a series of skin rejuvenation treatments, such as Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) therapy, microdermabrasion, or laser skin resurfacing.
Learn more about the latest facial rejuvenation procedures in our information guide, or consult with a cosmetic dermatologist in your area to find out if you may be a good candidate for any of the above treatments.