When you undergo a skin rejuvenation procedure such as laser skin resurfacing, microdermabrasion or a series of chemical peels, you can help the skin’s healing process by undertaking a healthy skincare regimen. Many medical spas and aesthetic surgery centers that offer skin rejuvenation treatments will provide you with a post-treatment skincare plan that may include applying certain products such as serums, overnight creams and using medical-grade cleansers and skincare products to promote healthy healing. Here are some tips for taking care of your skin after a skin rejuvenation procedure:
1. Moisturize every night. Your skincare professional may have provided you with some special moisturizing creams or serums to protect your skin during the healing process, and it’s important to use the moisturizer at least once or twice per day. Moisturizers act as a barrier to protect the skin from the elements and will also promote healthy skin renewal.
2. Avoid harsh exfoliants. If you use a salicylic acid or glycolic-acid based cleanser as part of your regular skincare regiment, you may need to switch to a cleanser made for sensitive skin instead. Salicylic acid and glycolic acid can be too harsh on your skin after an advanced skin treatments such as microdermabrasion, chemical peels and laser skin resurfacing, so you will need to switch products temporarily in order to promote the healing process.
3. Apply minimal makeup. Unless you are using a mineral makeup line, you may need to avoid using any type of chemical-based makeup for a few days after your treatment. Some types of makeup can clog your pores and dry out your skin after an extensive skin rejuvenation treatment. Consider switching to a mineral makeup brand if you want to wear makeup day or night.
4. Drink more water. After an intensive skin rejuvenation treatment, your body needs as much water as possible for a healthy recovery. Make sure your skin isn’t dehydrated by drinking more water. Dehydration can slow down the healing and recovery process, and make it difficult for your skin to purge out any more toxins.
5. Eat a balanced diet. Healthy sources of protein, fresh fruits and vegetables can also help with the healing process and keep your skin looking fresh and youthful. Load up on healthy foods as your skin heals so that you can enjoy the most benefits from the procedure.
6. Get enough sleep. Your skin can only rebuild and renew itself after a good night’s rest, so it’s important to get between 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night. During the deep sleep phases, your body can produce more collagen to repair damaged skin. Deep sleep also promotes healthy skin renewal and may ward off the formation of fine lines and wrinkles.
Learn more about skin rejuvenation procedures in our information guide, or consult with a medical spa in your area to find out how to take care of your skin as part of your skin rejuvenation treatment plan. Your post-treatment skincare plan will vary depending on your skin type, type of treatment and the overall condition of your skin after the procedure.