Plastic Surgeon Describes Newton's First Law and Rapid Recovery from Surgery
A special guest article by Brian Windle, MD, a plastic surgeon practicing in Kirkland, WA.
Everyone wants a fast recovery from their cosmetic surgery including breast augmentation, breast reductions and lifts, tummy tucks or abdominoplasties and many other. Rapid recovery from surgery can be related to the commercial about arthritis that says, “A body at rest tends to stay at rest”. This saying is taken from Newton's First Law of Motion which states that, “a body at rest will remain at rest unless an outside force acts on it’. If you took high school physics you will remember this!
- Movement:Starting immediately after the surgery or injury.
- Exercise:Gentle range of motion exercises starting right after surgery.
- Anti-inflammatories:Help reduce swelling as well as pain.
- Treatment:Usually gentle massage for cosmetic surgeries.
- Pre-operative preparation with specific instructions for you to be very familiar with what is required right after surgery for a rapid recovery.
- Minimally invasive techniques that reduce scarring, the amount of tissue damage and the amount of bleeding at the time of surgery. All of this reduces postoperative swelling and bruising to hasten recovery.
- Post-operative that embrace the MEAT philosophy.
Photo Source: Chris Potter [http://goo.gl/51Mqia]