New Liposuction Techniques
New Liposuction Techniques Overview
Some new cutting-edge technologies are available to help you get rid of unwanted fat. Talk to a cosmetic surgeon or board-certified plastic surgeon about all of your options. New liposuction methods are called Smart Lipo, Laser Lipo, Cool Lipo and Lipolysis. These procedures also tighten your skin where the fat has been removed. The newest methods are less invasive and require less recovery time.
Smart Lipo Surgery/Laser Lipo Surgery
Surgeons direct a laser to vaporize fat cells and then extract them from your body using a small tube (cannula). The lasers ideally seal off blood vessels under your skin to encourage collagen growth.
Advantages of Smart Lipo/Laser Lipo
- Procedure takes minimal time
- Return to normal activity a couple of days after surgery
- Remain awake during procedure
Disadvantages of Smart Lipo/Laser Lipo
- Uneven results possible
Cool Lipo Surgery
Cool Lipo is a procedure that stimulates the new formation of collagen at the same time unwanted fat is removed from a small area of the body. Your plastic surgeon will administer anesthetic to numb the area. Once the numbness sets in, he/she will insert a laser under your skin to dissolve the fat cells. After the one- to three-hour surgery, the area is dressed with compressive bandages to help the healing process begin.
Advantages of Cool Lipo
- Less invasive than a face-lift or neck lift
- Local anesthesia versus general anesthesia
- Can be used on small areas
Disadvantages of Cool Lipo
- Newly performed, not widely tested
- Must wear bandages for several days
In Lipolysis, medicine is injected deeply under your skin in pockets of fat tissue to dissolve the areas of unwanted fat. Lipolysis works well on areas not improved by diet and exercise. The number of sessions with your surgeon varies depending on your individual situation.
Advantages of Lipolysis
- Targets small areas
- Very small number of reports of severe adverse reaction
Disadvantages of Lipolysis
- Small lumps can develop in the area
- Usually a minimum of two sessions to achieve desired results