Maintaining Weight Loss After Liposuction - Tips and Strategies
Liposuction continues to be one of the most popular ways to get rid of excess body fat, remove cellulite and lose those last 5-10 ‘vanity’ pounds. While liposuction does offer instant benefits, you can only maintain results by eating a healthy diet and engaging in regular exercise.
If you’re not doing these things before liposuction surgery, you may soon find the pounds creeping back on – and in different areas of the body.
Tips and Strategies for Keeping the Weight Off after Liposuction
1. Eat small meals throughout the day. Eating nutritious meals throughout the day will keep your energy levels stable and reduces the risk of overeating at the next meal. Spreading out your food over the course of the day also ensures that you digest and absorb all of the calories efficiently, so you’re less likely to feel deprived or reach a state of starvation – the precursors of a ‘binge’ – on any given day.
2. Drink more water. Water helps flush out the toxins in the body and can even keep hunger pangs at bay. Experts say it can also help with digestion, which can keep your metabolism running at peak efficiency.
3. Stick with a ‘low-fat and lean’ diet philosophy. Low-fat meals and lean protein snacks are healthy food choices that can ward off the pounds. Consider adding turkey, skim milk, lowfat yogurt and fat-free snacks (in moderation) to your daily diet so that you’re filling up on foods that won’t trigger a weight gain cycle.
4. Eat breakfast. Skipping meals can leave you extremely hungry throughout the day – and eager to overeat at the next opportunity. The National Weight Control Registry reports that people who have maintained a weight loss of at least 30 pounds for more than a year have made breakfast a habit. Eating a nutritious breakfast might help you stay satisfied during those long mornings, and make you less likely to snack or overeat the rest of the day (Source: mealsmatter.org).
5. Load up on the greens. Leafy green vegetables such as spinach, broccoli and kale are full of antioxidants and minerals, but also contain large amounts of fiber. Fiber helps food move slowly through the digestive tract so you feel fuller, longer. Fiber can also keep your digestive system and metabolism in good order.
6. Maintain a consistent exercise regimen. Regular exercise can help you look and feel great, and can also be an effective weight loss strategy. Squeezing in just 20-30 minutes of walking each day can give your metabolism a boost, burn a few extra calories and keep your appetite under control.
7. Choose your carbs wisely. Whole grains, fruits and vegetables are the healthiest sources of carbohydrates that can keep your blood sugar levels in balance. Healthy blood sugar levels prevent extreme hunger pangs so you’re never stuck on a ‘cravings cycle.’ Choose whole grain breads and wheat products at every opportunity, and increase your daily intake of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Your liposuction surgeon can guide you through the post-operative treatment plan and may even offer nutritional counseling services to keep your diet in check. Learn more about liposuction and nutritional therapy in our information guide so you can maintain results for the long-term.