How to Prevent Weight Gain After SmartLipo
posted on 5/24/2012
SmartLipo has become a popular fat loss and cellulite removal procedure at cosmetic surgeons’ offices across the country, offering a nearly pain-free solution for fat loss by zapping away fat cells for good.
Though it seems like a ‘quick fix’ solution for anyone with a few vanity pounds, it’s a cosmetic procedure that requires ongoing maintenance to enjoy long lasting results. The SmartLipo laser does remove fat cells completely – and doesn’t just shrink as other cellulite reduction therapy treatments do – but you can’t escape weight gain after the treatment is over.
Most doctors encourage patients to follow a sensible diet and exercise routine to avoid gaining weight in untreated areas; these areas may contain fat cells that expand when you gain weight, and the overall distribution of weight may require even more cosmetic surgery, such as liposuction or cellulite reduction therapy. Dr. Bill Johnson, MD of Innovations MedSpa in Dallas, Texas advises patients to eat a healthy diet that contains high levels of antioxidants in the form of vegetables and supplements (Source: InnovationMedspa.com).
If you’ve recently undergone the SmartLipo procedure or are considering it for fat removal, here are some simple strategies for keeping the weight off for good:
1. Eat leafy green vegetables. Leafy green vegetables contain a significant amount of antioxidants, along with vitamins and minerals. From spinach to kale, you can incorporate several green vegetables into your daily diet to enjoy an antioxidant boost. Antioxidants can protect cells against cellular damage and are also high in fiber – a high fiber diet will keep your digestive system strong which helps regulate your metabolism.
2. Drink plenty of water. Water flushes toxins and waste from the body and can even help you feel full for long periods of time. Staying well hydrated also keeps the metabolism and digestive system in balance so you will be healthier overall.
3. Maintain a healthy exercise routine. Staying physically active will give your metabolism a boost so you burn calories all day long. This naturally helps you ward off the pounds, but you’ll need to make it a habit to get lasting results.
4. Watch those portion sizes. If you still can’t eyeball 4 oz. of protein or a cup of fruit, make sure your portion sizes are realistic. The Mayo Clinic offers these helpful tips on portion control so you can manage your menu with ease.
5. Boost your fiber intake. Eating foods high in fiber on a regular basis can help you stay full for longer periods of time. This makes it easier to exercise portion control if you’re changing your eating habits, and you have several great-tasting foods to choose from. Beans, fruit with skin, fresh vegetables and natural fiber supplements can all help you stick with a healthy eating plan.
Going through a SmartLipo procedure is relatively painless, and knowing how to take care of your body after the treatment will help you enjoy your new look for the long-term. Since unhealthy eating habits can quickly lead to weight gain, behavioral changes may be necessary in order for you to enjoy long-term results.
Your local plastic or cosmetic surgeon will guide you through the pre and post-procedure requirements so you can enjoy successful fat removal and a new, sculpted body. An ongoing weight loss program and working with a registered dietitian may help you correct unhealthy eating behaviors and maintain a healthy weight for life.