How Doctors use Fat and Transfer it to the Buttocks
posted on 5/13/2013
In a fat transfer to the buttocks, fat cells are removed from parts of the body where the patient has fat to spare like the back, stomach, thighs and flanks. The fat is then injected into the buttocks to create a fuller and rounder butt. The procedure is usually performed under general anesthesia by a cosmetic surgery doctors or board-certified plastic surgery doctors and takes about one and a half to two hours.
The main difference between the fat transfer to the buttocks and the Brazilian butt lift is simply a matter of terminology. Surgeons may choose one description over the other to better communicate to patients and increase their understanding of the procedure. In a fat transfer to the buttocks, the doctor will remove approximately 700 cubic centimeters of pure fat (about ½ to ¾ of a pound) and re-inject only the best cells into the buttocks.
How does Butt Fat Transfer Surgery Work?
The surgical process begins with the determination of the individual patient’s aesthetic goals and identification of suitable donor sites. The surgeon will then use liposuction to remove fat cells from the abdomen, hip, back and thigh regions. The fat cells are then processed and purified before being re-injected through small incisions into different layers of the buttocks. The process of fat reinjection can involve hundreds of injections. The procedure is designed to fill the upper quadrant of your buttocks so that it appears fuller and lifted.
What are some Advantages of Butt Fat Transfer Surgery?
- More natural than the alternative of buttock implants
- Patients prefer the idea of using their own fat
- Fat transplantation eliminates possibility of rejection by the body
- Small, evenly-distributed incisions result in a smoother look
- Liposuctioned areas appear leaner because of fat removal
What are some Disadvantages of Butt Fat Transfer Surgery?
- Thinner patients may not have enough fat cells for procedure (For patients with enough fat cells, see butt lift)
- Chance that portion of transferred fat may be reabsorbed by the body
- Patient must wear a special garment to control swelling for two weeks (Read about buttocks augmentation recovery)
- Patient must not sit directly on buttocks for up to three weeks