Hair Loss Prescription Products
What are Prescription Products for Hair Loss?
If you’re dealing with hair loss and are still unsure about getting hair transplants or having hair transplant surgery, your doctor might recommend hair loss prescription products to trigger the hair-growth process. Most physicians now recommend combination therapy with prescription hair loss products and laser treatments or surgery.
Propecia is the most commonly prescribed prescription product for hair loss and can be effective for inhibiting the compounds responsible for hair loss. Talk to a hair restoration surgeon in your area to find out if you'd be a good candidate for Propecia and other hair restoration prescription products.
What are the Types of Hair Loss Prescription Products?
- Propecia (also known as Finasteride)
- Avodart (off-label use for hair loss)
- Ketoconazole (off-label use for hair loss)
- Birth control pills (off-label use for hair loss)
Most prescription hair loss drugs are prescribed to men dealing with male pattern baldness. Women experiencing hair loss may need to undergo hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and other drugs that can promote healthy hair growth.
What are the Advantages of Hair Loss Prescription Products?
- Oral or topical solutions
- Can promote healthy hair growth
- Some people may not need surgery because of positive effects of consistent treatment
What are the Disadvantages of Hair Loss Prescription Products?
- Possible sexual side effects
- Hair regrowth stops after you stop taking the drug
- May not be effective for bald spots that have been there for years
- Some risk of scalp irritation with certain treatments