Getting a Natural-Looking Hair Transplant - Your Best Options
Hair transplant surgery offers the permanent solution for excessive hair loss and is a popular choice for many men and women experiencing balding or a receding hairline. If losing your hair is making you self-conscious about your appearance, take the time to find a reputable hair restoration specialist in your area to perform the surgery.
Here are some tips for getting the most natural-looking results with hair transplant surgery:
- Review before and after photos closely. Don’t be afraid to ask your hair transplant surgeon for before and after photos so you can see whether the hairlines of his or her patients appear to be natural and complement the face shape.
- Find out exactly where the hairline will start. Make sure the surgeon will be creating your hair line high enough for it to look natural. A hair line that sits too low will look artificial and you may end up needing a second procedure.
- Request follicular unit graphs. Follicular units can create a much more natural look than round plugs. Only some hair restoration specialists are skilled and trained to use follicular units.
- Review the pre and post-transplant instructions carefully. Familiarize yourself with all of the pre-surgery and post-surgery requirements and guidelines. These are designed to ensure the best possible outcome and in some cases, a faster recovery time. Make sure you report all health information accurately and list any type of medication you are taking.
- Ask about supplements. Some doctors offer supplements, such as a whey protein concentrate, that have been proven to help hair grow faster before a hair transplant. You may need to start taking these supplements for several weeks before your procedure.
Take a close look at the work of several hair restoration doctors in your area so that you can make the most informed choice. Hair transplant before and after photos can give you a better idea of what to expect.