New Haven, CT
Dr. Elmer Valin Graduated from the University of Hawaii with a Bachelor of Science degree and attended medical school at the University of the East in Manilla, Phillipines. He completed an Internal Medicine residency in at the Hospital of Saint Raphael. He then completed a second residency in General Surgery in 1998 at the same location. He is a surgical attending at the Hospital of Saint Raphael in New Haven, CT. The Hospital of Saint Raphael is a designated Center of Excellence by the American Society of Bariatric Surgeons.
Dr. Valin is a member American Medical Association, American Society of Bariatric Surgeons and is certified by the American Society for Bariatric Physicians. He is board certified in both general surgery and internal medicine. He is one of the most experienced bariatric physicians in the state. He has performed more than 1,500 obesity-surgery related procedures. He is one of the first surgeons to perform the laparoscopic Roux-en Y gastric bypass in Connecticut. He was also the first surgeon in Connecticut to perform the Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding (Lap-Band), and the first surgeon to perform the Laparoscopic Vertical Banded Gastroplasty (Lap VBG). In addition, Dr. Valin performs a wide range of general surgical procedures. He is now performing single incision surgery.
Top Procedures Performed:
• Lapband (Laparoscopic Gastric Banding)
• Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery
• Sleeve Gastric Bypass Surgery
• Laparoscopic Vertical Banded Gastroplasty
• Weight Loss Program Bariatric Prescriptions
• Weight Loss Counseling
• Dietary Supplements
• Medical Weight Loss
Dr. Elmer Valin offers a variety of obesity surgery procedures at his New Haven, Connecticut practice to meet your needs and help you achieve a healthy weight. We offer both permanent and reversible treatments, each with unique attributes to meet patients’ individual needs. To meet with Dr. Valin and learn more about which obesity surgery can benefit you, contact our New Haven weight loss clinic today to schedule an appointment.
Bariatric Surgery Techniques:
A variety of obesity surgery procedures that, fundamentally, involve isolating smaller portions of the stomach to limit food intake can be employed for weight loss:
• Laparoscopic Roux-en-y Gastric Bypass: This procedure involves a permanent re-routing of a small portion of the stomach directly to the small intestine.
• Lap-Band®: A silicone band is used to reduce the capacity of the stomach.
• Laparoscopic Vertical Banded Gastroplasty: This technique reduces the capacity of the upper stomach with staples and requires no surgical re-routing.
• Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy: This method reduces the capacity of the stomach by 85 percent using vertical staples.
• Single Incision Lap-Band® Surgery: The Lap-Band®is administered through the belly button.