Infographic: Got Boobs? The Growth of the American Breast
Americans’ fascination with breasts dates back long before Pamela Anderson and the bombshells of today.
1920s - American burlesque dancers wore nipple tassels for adult entertainment. This was also the first time a woman appeared topless in a film.
1940s - Believing that American soldiers have a fetish for women with large breasts, Japanese prostitutes inject their breasts with substances like paraffin, sponges, and non-medical grade silicone.
1960s - In 1962, Timmie Jean Lindsey of Texas was the first woman to receive silicone breast implants, upgrading from a B to a C cup.
2000s - Janet Jackson’s nip slip at the 2004 SuperBowl sent the FCC into a frenzy, fining CBS $550,000.
Among all breast implant surgeries performed in the United States, 38% occur in the Western States, with Salt Lake City leading the nation in breast implant popularity.
Countries With The Most Breast Augmentations Per Capita In 2011:
1. USA - 336,648
2. Brazil - 254,214
3. Mexico - 85,099
4. Italy - 75,225
5. China - 55,400
If the five million American women with breast implants formed a state, it would have the same population as Alabama, y’all!
If all of the breast implants in the U.S were stacked, the tower of boobs would be taller than 4,300 Statues of Liberty.
Inspiring A Generation
“I want hers!” Scarlett, Halle, and Selma have the top 3 most coveted breasts in Hollywood.
On average, 90,500 people search for “breast augmentation” each month.
36” -24” -36”
This measurement of an “ideal” woman’s figure is mentioned in numerous songs. First appearing in “Brick House” by the Commodores, it has made its way into the lyrics of songs like Sir Mix-a-Lot’s “Baby Got Back,” and is also mentioned in “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap” by AC/DC.
In 2010, 62% of all breast augmentation procedures were silicone implants, while the remaining 38% of augmentations were completed with saline implants.
Silicone Valley: Considered more natural to the touch, silicone is still the most popular form of breast implant.
Saline: The second leading type of implant is saline. Using saline can be less expensive and in the case of a rupture, provides a natural solution that is absorbed by the body.
Gummy Bears: In March 2012, new type of silicone implant, cohesive gel, form-stable implants were dubbed “Gummy Bear Implants” because when cut in half they retain their shape, much like the popular candy.
There are two basic shapes of breast implant to choose from: round or anatomical.
Round Implants - These implants are inserted under the muscle and tend to appear more natural than contoured implants.
Anatomical - Also known as Contoured, Shaped, or Tear-Drop implants, these mimic the slope of natural breasts.
Find a Doctor on LocateADoc.com
1) Read Reviews
2) See Board Certifications
3) Check Financing Options
Sources: The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, PBS, NYDailyNews.com, Consumer Guide to Plastic Surgeryy, ABCNews, BlackBookMag.com, CosmedSurgery.com, Ranker.com, ImplantInfo.com, MentalFloss.com
Copy and paste the code in the area below to place "Got Boobs? The Growth of the American Breast" image on your site for free.
Other Infographics from LocateADoc.com:
The Fresh Face of 2013 - Non-Surgical Options for a Brand New You! - Your face is capable of producing over 5,000 facial expressions! With new advances in non-surgical procedures, you now have one more reason to smile.
Holiday Stress? Relax at a Medical Spa! - It might be “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year,” but there’s also a lot to do, especially if you have parties to plan, kids to shop for, and Secret Santas to remember. Before you reach for a bottle of eggnog to take the edge off, consider other ways to chill out!
Season's geEATINGS! Holiday Weight Gain and Your Weight Loss Solutions - You love to eat during the holidays... BUT if you eat too much when you celebrate, you might be playing Santa at your next office party. The average weight an adult gains each holiday season is 2 pounds! What’s worse... most of us never lose it.
Plastic Fantastic - What We Pay To Go Under The Knife - 13.8 million cosmetic procedures were completed in 2011. Cosmetic procedures are more popular than ever - for both men and women! Why do people shell out so much money for it?
Breast Self Exam and Breast Cancer Facts - We know the truth: Giving yourself a breast exam is the last thing on your mind as you cherish the few minutes of peace and quiet you get in the shower each day! The truth of it is, if you want to keep wearing your favorite bras, you’ll need to make sure that what fills them up is healthy.