A Faster Recovery From Your Tummy Tuck
The American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) has some uplifting news for patients considering a tummy tuck procedure.
Initial research has shown that patients who are put on a regular diet following surgery may be released from the hospital earlier than those who are fed liquids through an IV tube.
Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), a major surgical operation to remove excess skin and fat from the abdomen, is classified as an invasive procedure that requires a lengthened recovery period.
How do You Cut Your Costs with a Shortened Hospital Stay?
Following most tummy tuck operations, food ingested by mouth is replaced with intravenous fluids to prevent irritation of the stomach lining.
New research conducted by the ASAPS now shows:
- It may not be necessary for intravenous fasting.
- The earlier a person is fed by mouth, the earlier they may be discharged from the hospital.
- This is good news for patients because a shortened hospital visit might translate into a smaller bill.
What Should You Expect Post-Procedure?
Nausea and vomiting are typical post-procedure occurrences. These reactions can lead to heaving or gagging that result in tearing of sutures. Poor wound healing can be hazardous to the health of the patient and may require additional surgery.
Although no research had been done to confirm the theory, doctors believed that orally ingested food would only compound stomach irritation.
New Research Shows No Negative Reaction To Eating
In the June 2007 issue of Aesthetic Surgery Journal, members of a research group published a study in which they divided 22 abdominoplasty recipients into two groups.
- Group one followed the typical regime of intravenous fluids.
- Group two was allowed to consume a regular diet.
- Researchers noted no difference in the amount of vomiting or nausea that the two groups experienced.
- Doctors still believe that the choice ultimately depends on the comfort level of the patient and their personal health history.
Abdominoplasty: The Popular Option For Overweight Problems
Abdominoplasty is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures because it helps to dramatically reduce the size and appearance of a protruding stomach.
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) ranked abdominoplasty 5th on its list of most commonly performed cosmetic surgeries. In 2006, over 146,000 people received the procedure in the